Monday, 7 July 2014

First Aid training


The first day of the July holidays was an opportunity to refresh ourselves with first aid. I cannot recall the last time I looked at upskiling myself in this area, something that had been concerning me given the amount of times I am with students outside the classroom on KIT days etc. I suppose I have (like many others) assumed that "someone else would know what to do", but that is not the sort of attitude appropriate for a professional who works with children.
Being the co-ordinator of the course, I turned up early to set up, armed with a ton of questions and very little prior knowledge. The course was very full on; almost to rushed, but some of the key aspects I got out of the day will stick with me in the years ahead...

  • compression to breath ratios
  • a set of emergency contact numbers to be carried on me/first aid kit
  • What is needed in our first aid kits at the anton centre
  • "Stop and Think" - really had this drilled in. 
Overall, I would have liked this day to have been broken into two parts so as to concentrate a little more of specific areas, but it was a great grounding and an invaluable skill boost for one in my line of work.