It is important to be able to introduce one's self, in case one is asked to do so (for example, in the wharenui during the visit). I would like to be able to do this in Te Reo but importantly in NZSL as well. I found a resource that i could borrow the following pattern for those just beginning to learn Māori :
Maori vocabulary
|
English translation
|
|---|---|
| Tēnā koutou. | Hello (everyone). |
| Ko ____________au/ahau. | I am __________________. |
| Nō ____________. | I am from _____________. |
| Ko ____________ taku pāpā. | ______________ is my father. |
| Ko ____________ taku māmā. | ______________ is my mother. |
| Ko ____________ taku koro. | ______________ is my grandfather. |
| Ko ____________ taku kuia. | ______________ is my grandmother. |
| Tēnā koutou katoa. | Hello to you all. |
The NZSL signs can be acquired from the NZSL dictionary and them when I am completed I will record the Mihi on video to be assessed by my NZSL tutor. I would like to be able to demonstrate my Mihi at our next team meeting as well as challenge team memebrs to do the same in future meetings.